.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

Photos of strange things in Azerbaijan

On a forced march through the regions this week, I came across a couple of amusing things.

I saw this old guy walking up the hill in Sheki, hunched over, toward the Khan's Palace. He had what looked like a big stuffed dog over his shoulder, covered with a yellow cloth so only its ears were sticking out. He proudly unveiled it for me. It was a very old, very ratty taxidermied wolf. For a few thousand Manat, he kindly turned on the Christmas lights he'd strung through its smile for a photo. I wish I had a photo of it on his shoulders. This has become my new favorite photo.

IMG_1048

Since it's harvest time, this isn't very unusual. Azeris are very skilled at packing every square inch of their Ladas and Volgas with produce -- watermelons, apples, potatoes, or like this guy, onions -- they need to sell in the bazaars.

IMG_1072

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?